It is often confusing about what you can claim for business purposes, so hopefully this list will aid you in the top tax deductible expenses. This list is only applicable to sole traders, not limited companies!
- If you work from home, you can claim for using part of your house as an office. The general rule of thumb is that you can claim £4 each week!
- You can also claim a proportion of telephone costs and line rental if you use your phone for business uses. The best way to do this is to keep a record of all business calls you make, so you can see what proportion of use is for business. If you keep your bill, this will support your tax return.
- You can also claim mileage, however not for personal use. You can claim 45p per mile for the first 10,000 and then 25p a mile above that. You can also claim a bicycle mileage at 20p per mile! However, you cannot claim for normal commuting to and from your normal place of work.
- Business insurance is also tax deductible so if you need any insurance for your business such as public liability insurance, you can claim this back.
- PR, marketing and advertising costs are also tax deductible.
- You can also claim a proportion of your broadband costs in the same way as the telephone costs.
- Hosting costs for your website can also be claimed back!
- If you have a trade paper or magazine subscription that is relevant to your business, then these can also be claimed back!
To find out more, contact us!